Sunday, December 15, 2019

The Recovering Teacher Returns

It has been more than five long years since I wrote my first and only post on this blog. For too long have I remained idle while the world passed by. Idle while the world has changed and been rearranged. Idle while others have moved forward. That changes now...I think.


First some background. I have not been completely idle since I last posted. I became a full-time middle school teacher once again in 2014, after several years of teaching as an adjunct instructor at a now-defunct technical college. Returning to the classroom full time was a definite change, and it took up the majority of my time for a couple of years. I then returned to my side gig in media, which filled up what little time was left. I now finally feel ready to return to writing on a limited basis, with hopes of eventually being able to devote more of my energies to writing short- and long-form pieces.

With all this in mind, I went searching for a topic to focus my initial writing efforts. I have been playing around for some years with a couple of novel ideas, one mytho-historical and one fantasy, but neither one lends itself to blogging. I also have some short story ideas I have worked on, but again, they are a bit long for this format. So the search went on for something to inspire the creative juices, and finally it happened.

Some time back I read an article about “33 Ways to Stay Creative.” Actually, it was little more than a list of ideas with no real discussion as to the pros or cons of each method. What made these 33 ways useful, or were they even? Could they be useful for one person and useless for another (I’m pretty sure most people would say yes to that). My goal, then, is to take one or two ideas for a blog post, examine them, and give my own thoughts based on my decades of life experience (I won’t say how many, but it is enough for a decent view of life).

So here I stand at the beginning of a series of posts about these 33 ways. I welcome your feedback, thoughts, suggestions, etc. Forgive me if I choose not to follow any of them; this is my blog, after all. So, without further ado (or much ado about nothing - my apologies, William), I jump into an examination of the 33 Ways to Stay Creative - with my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment