Saturday, July 12, 2014

The Genesis of The Recovering Teacher

"So what do you do?"

It all started innocently, at some event that I can't even remember. People were introducing themselves, talking about what they did for a living, and of course someone asked me what I did.

I was fresh off a rather uncomfortable ending to teaching at a middle school in a large urban district. I was rather disillusioned with the education "industry" at the time, and so I responded, "I'm a recovering teacher." The other person gave me a quizzical look until I explained I had been teaching middle school, and then he nodded in relative understanding.

That became my go-to phrase, since at the time I hadn't decided exactly what I was going to move on to. Today it is still true to an extent, even though I am once again teaching - but I am recovering from the sour taste that episode left, I am recovering from some of my disillusionment (not yet all), and I am recovering from feeling that I had no direction in life. So I argue that makes me a recovering teacher, although not in the same sense I originally used the term.

These days I teach a little, write a little, edit a little, do some photography, and more or less get by. I am still working on where I want to go in this world, but at least things seem to be coming into some sort of focus. And I am finally beginning to use this blog, which I created several years ago just to hold on to the Recovering Teacher name. I still have not completely decided the direction it will take, but maybe it is just all part of the recovery process.

Just another step on that long journey called life.

No comments:

Post a Comment